Portland, Oregon - Rose Garden

Dec 02, 2001

Rate
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Shilo
    He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother
    I Am…I Said
    _____Encore____
    Cracklin’ Rosie
    Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show
    America (Reprise by orchestra with lowering of Flag)

2. PJ
    Set List – 12/2/01
    Mon Dec 3 07:42:44 2001

US Flag in front of end stage
    Hello Again (instrumental overture)
    America (flag raised – Stand for America)
    Mission Of Love
    Solitary Man (Neil on guitar)
    Cherry, Cherry (Neil on guitar)
    Red, Red Wine (Neil on guitar – slow then Reggae)
    I’m A Believer
    Play Me (request for hankie from audience)
    Soolaimon
    If You Know What I Mean
    Beautiful Noise
    Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon (holding hand of woman (“I’m married, I’m already there!”) from audience with kiss at end. Neil lying on stage floor: “Wow! Does anybody have a cigarette?”)
    I Haven’t Played This Song In Years (4 songs from Three Chord Opera)
    You Are The Best Part Of Me
    At The Movies
    I Believe In Happy Endings
    Forever In Blue Jeans
    Star Flight (band introduction, Neil joined song towards end)
    Captain Sunshine (in honor of Vince Charles memory)
    Holly Holy
    Sweet Caroline (audience [14,232] standing – chorus repeated twice)
    You Don’t Bring Me Flowers with Linda Press
    Happy Birthday to Linda Press
    Yes I Will / Lady Magdelene / Yes I Will (Neil on piano)
    Shilo
    He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother (dedicated to the hero’s – flag lit)
    I Am… I Said (sat on stool towards end of song)
    Encore – audience standing)
    Cracklin’ Rosie
    Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show
    America (instrumental)

Concert approx. 2 hours – 10 minutes – 30 songs – no intermission.

3. THE OREGONIAN REVIEW
    Mon Dec 3 07:12:27 2001

THE OREGONIAN

Hard not to love Diamond, sentimental lapses and all

12/03/01

MARTY HUGHLEY

Much of pop music’s hold over us is achieved through a basic, if nonetheless tricky, alchemy. Filter a familiar emotion through a simple idea, add a pound of conviction or a tart little twist of the unexpected, heat with energy and charisma, then reap the rewards of your magic.

Neil Diamond learned the pop sciences early and well. By his mid-20s, he was writing for the New York song publishers in the storied Brill Building, penning such hits as “I’m A Believer” for the Monkees. And soon enough, he was off on an incredible run of hits as a performer, with 10 Top 25 singles between 1966 and 1972.

Diamond has maintained his star status ever since, as witnessed yet again by a full house at the Rose Garden arena on Sunday night, the start of a two-night stand. The singer himself is 60 and his audience skews toward those old enough to recall such classics as “Kentucky Woman” and “Sweet Caroline” as fresh new sounds on the radio. But for an artist no longer making much impact on the singles charts, his appeal is surprisingly multi-generational.

Maybe it’s because he so diligently works that basic formula for all it’s worth, taking straightforward, memorable melodies and easy-to-apprehend lyrical ideas and painting them with as much bright color and grandeur as they’ll support.

As a young wizard in the pop world, Diamond was about as good at that game as anyone, and tunes from the early part of his career form the better part of his current repertoire. “Cherry, Cherry,” “Red, Red Wine” and “I’m A Believer” aren’t terribly profound, but they carried the idea that simple feelings can have powerful impact. Coming in succession early in the show, they and their creator were hard not to love.

The show started about 8:20 p.m. with an instrumental fanfare and the raising of the giant American flag from in front of the stage, followed by the patriotic “America.” To create the scope and detail of Diamond’s sound, he came prepared: a 17-piece band with horns, strings, guitars, percussion, backing vocalists — the works. His voice was a little grainier than normal at first, and cracked noticeably a bit later during “Play Me,” but largely was the stately baritone of legend. “Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon,” which added to his cache with the alt-rock set a few years ago when it was covered by Urge Overkill, was compelling enough coming from Diamond himself that he got a lengthy smooch from a female who went to the lip of the stage. Like we said, hard not to love.

That ballad also showed, though, that a turgid sentimentality has long been one of Diamond’s weaknesses. So too is that particular blend of middlebrow pretension and cheerful bad taste that’s come to be known as cheese. Diamond exports more of the stuff than all the dairy farmers in Wisconsin.

But as he’s gotten older, Diamond’s knack for riding that line between the simple and the banal, the unabashed and the embarrassing, has seemed to desert him. That was shown early in the show when the new “Mission of Love,” an awkward Vegas-meets-Sesame Street number about matchmaking was followed with “Solitary Man,” among the most genuinely affecting of his early tunes. If that wasn’t enough to demonstrate how far he’s fallen, a mid-set string of other tunes from his new “Three Chord Opera” album reached its nadir with the unintentionally hilarious “At the Movies.”

But then, he was back with “Holly, Holy” and the kind of earnest urgency that animates him at his best. As mawkish and overblown as his act can get, he still has the old alchemy down well enough to dazzle the faithful yet again.

The concert repeats at 8 p.m. tonight in the Rose Garden. Tickets are on sale via Ticketmaster (503-224-4400, http://www.ticketmaster.com).

Copyright 2001 Oregon Live. All Rights Reserved.

4. Scott N.

Cracklin’ Rosie
    Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show

5. Newbie Diamondgirl
    Neil’s second Rose Garden performance
    Thu Dec 6 05:24:45 2001

originally posted on December 6 2001 at 12:55 AM

Well when I heard Neil Diamond was going to be in the same state as me, Oregon, I immediately hopped online and bought a ticket for myself and my mother. Too bad she was unable to go because my father had the bad luck to injure himself, so now she has an unused ticket as a souvenir. She has been a fan of his since the 60’s when she was in high school and I admit I liked him when I was growing up, but I didn’t become a major fan until this year when I saw his A&E Live By Request concert. It just blew me away, I then bought several of his cd’s(more are on my Christmas wishlist, lol) and I have been torturing my neighbors listening to nothing but Neil for the past few months. Sorry neighbors;)

So last Monday night I went to the concert practically jumping out of my skin I was so excited. It was also my first major concert and I’m fairly sure that no concert that I go to after this will ever live up to the experience that is Neil Diamond. I got to the Rose Garden a full hour and fifteen minutes early. I got to my seat and I sat there watching people straggle in, and I was just in awe of the size of the area. The time just ticked by ever so slowly and I thought that 8pm would never arrive. As I was waiting I looked around me and was noticing that there were several sections of the concert hall which were completely empty, and I started feeling really bad for Neil. I mean here the guy had been fabulous enough to add a second date, and there was hardly anyone there. Little did I know the true meaning of the words “fashionably late.” At about 10 til 8pm, people just started streaming in from everywhere and by about 8:10 the entire arena was packed save for a seat here and there.

The lights then started to dim and for the next two hours I was treated to the most incredible experience of my young life. During his performance of “Girl You’ll Be a Woman Soon” I so very much wanted to be the young lady he was singing to. God he is fabulous. I would also like to thank the very nice woman who sat next to me and let me use her binoculars so that I could actually see him. We sang “Sweet Caroline” three times before we did it to his satisfaction;) It was great, I screamed and cheered with the diehard fans and we had a great time. I did feel a little out of place given the general age group of the audience but as soon as he started singing, age suddenly didn’t matter one whit. It was quite funny when after the first go round of “Sweet Caroline” he asked the crowd “Doesn’t anyone have to go to work tomorrow?” and the entire crowd yelled back “No!” to which he replied, “Ok then, we’ll go at it again.” Ok so those weren’t his exact words but you all get the meaning;)

Every song was amazing, even though it took him almost half the concert to get everyone on their feet. We got up during “America” and “Forever in Blue Jeans”, but it took the awe inspiring power of “Sweet Caroline” to keep us up and moving. It seemed for a second that we were going to end on “I Am…I Said”, which is by far and away one of my favorites of his, when I realized that he hadn’t done “Cracklin’ Rosie” and I knew we were in for an incredible encore. Course I was clued in by the fact that even though he left, the band was still there. Hmmmmmmmm. LoL. He came bursting back up through the stage and we just rocked out and sang until our voices were hoarse.

It was a mindblowing experience that I shall never forget and hope to repeat as soon as possible. If you’re reading this Neil, I kinda doubt but what the hey;), come back soon so my mom can come this time.

Wow!!!!!!

6. Scott N.
    12/2 Portland show
    Mon Dec 3 02:18:09 2001

The setlist and show were standard for the tour with two notable exceptions:

1. After You Don’t Bring Me Flowers, Neil mentioned that it was Linda’s birthday so he led the crowd in a version of “Happy Birthday Linda”.

2. During Girl, You’ll Be A Woman Soon, he offered the mic to the lady he was serenading after singing the line “you’ll be a woman soon” and her response was “I’m already there.” Huge crowd laughter followed.