Grand Rapids, Michigan - Van Andel Arena

Oct 20, 2001

Rate
Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

At the Movies
    I Believe in Happy Enmdings
    Forever in Blue Jeans
    Starflight
    Captain Sunshine
    Holly Holy
    Sweet Caroline (2 encores with instructions)
    You Don’t Bring Me Flowers
    Yes I Will (piano)
    Lady Magdelene (piano)
    Shilo
    He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother
    I Am…I Said (on stool) left stage
    Encore: Cracklin’ Rosie, Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show, reprise of America

2. Joan N.

At the Movies
    I Believe in Happy Enmdings
    Forever in Blue Jeans
    Starflight
    Captain Sunshine
    Holly Holy
    Sweet Caroline (2 encores with instructions)
    You Don’t Bring Me Flowers
    Yes I Will (piano)
    Lady Magdelene (piano)
    Shilo
    He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother
    I Am…I Said (on stool) left stage

3. Brian
    Amazing Show
    Tue Oct 23 22:18:27 2001

The show really was amazing. I would say that I am spoiled though because I can usually get(with a friend’s help) really decent seats. After reading about Detroit with an extra song in the set list each night, I feel a little sad that we didn’t hear something extra. Does he do this often or just occasionally? Also to anyone sitting around me on Saturday, I was the excited person who yelled for “Walk On Water” before “He Ain’t Heavy…” I was feeling a little A & E live by request thing going on and I couldn’t help myself!!!

4. mike
    Concert
    Tue Oct 23 06:27:56 2001

We were at opening night at Van Andel and it was a great show. One of the things that made it special was that it was my daughters first concert Michelle is 10 and as soon as the arena got dark her eyes were as big as saucers. She had a great time at the show. I felt this was truly a show for the fans, it seems as though he reads this board from time to time. I loved Captain Sunshine and Yes I Will and Lady Mag. I really love it when Neil does songs “from deep in the treasure chest” We hung out at the arena after the show and ended up in the section behind the flag and saw Alan Lindgren. We got to say hi to him and that was cool.
    a great show Neil was in fine voice and the band cooked!!!

5. Joan N
    Holly Holy, Moly!
    Mon Oct 22 18:40:52 2001

I posted the set list above, am just home from work, and have not read the Board to see if anything else has been posted.

This was my first trip to Grand Rapids and I loved it. The town is bigger than I expected and the arena is very fan friendly. It’s not real big and is easy to get in and out of.

Neil wore the royal blue sparkly shirt, and the crowd was with him all the way. They stomped feet before the show and roared when the spotlight came on. They were his from that moment on. He seemd totally pumped, and the crowd was every bit as good as Chicago.

The girl who was chosen for “Girl” was adorable. She looked 30-ish from my vantage point (which was not all that close), had kinda short auburn hair and sparkly evening-dress kind of clothes. She was obviously thrilled and played along just perfectly. Every once in awhile, she plopped a quick kiss on him while he was singing. Looked a little shy, but not about to waste the opportunity VERY CUTE!

The audience responded to everything, including te band intro. Everyone stayed on their feet and cheering.

They loved Captain Sunshine and the piano segment.

In addition to being an adoring fan who has seen the show five times already, I felt like a mama (considering my age, maybe I should say sister), totally proud of a wonderful performance by a loved one. It was incredible.

6. Joan N
    Wowie!
    Mon Oct 22 18:54:15 2001

The Sunday night crowd in Grand Rapids was very good. Neil wore the black sparkly shirt and was very playful with the crowd. I posted the set list above.

I sat 2nd row this night and was very moved, at close range, watching his facial expressions and response to the audience. I know we all know this, but it never ceases to amaze me, how emotional and responsive he is to people. The audience had a ball, and Neil appeared to too.

The girl chosen for “Girl” was, hmmmmmm, never mind. She was young, flamboyant, false hair, and very into the fact that she was chosen. She was cheek to cheek with Neil, and was very conscious of it, but instead of concentrating on her very special opportunity, she kept turning around to take bows. Different strokes for different folks as us oldies would say.

While the set list wasn’t different, it was still special and delivered for the group that was there. Neil is the ultimate showman.

I’m dead tired, but I’m sure going to try to get to Rockford tomorrow night. Neil is the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!